1. Because a woman brought into this world will inevitably be given pepper spray “just in case.”
2. Because by sixteen, a young girl knows how to avoid being sexually assaulted, while a boy of the same age does not fear sexual assault in the slightest.
3. Because a girl who mocks men is a bitch, and a boy who mocks women is joking.
4. Because a girl who has sex is a slut, and a boy who has sex is a man.
5. Because in a murder, the killer is at fault, but the blame of rape is often put on the victim.
6. Because we teach girls how not to get raped instead of teaching anyone simply not to rape.
7. Because a woman should put more clothes on if her outfit makes a man uncomfortable, because his self control is her responsibility.
8. Because feminists just need to chill out.
9. Because a 22 year old sex-obsessed virgin can murder 7 people, and the problem is that someone should’ve just slept with him.
10. Because not all men are predators, but yes, all women are prey.
Why do we live in a society where men think it’s acceptable to make derogatory comments as I walk by because I’m female and then shout “Bitch!” at me when I choose to ignore them and walk away? I’m not an object meant for their visual pleasure. I’m not a weak, invisible possession that doesn’t have the ability to feel. I’m a person. A real person, who, just like everyone else, deserves respect and the right to walk down the street without being afraid of who might be around the corner waiting to physically or mentally attack or take advantage of me. Is that too much to ask? People may think this one comment is insignificant to get upset about, but I’m just one of the millions of women around the world who are repressed by a patriarchal society and subjected to feelings of inferiority, vulnerability, and threats of what men may do or say to us just because of our gender. People who claim sexual assault and harassment is blown out of proportion by women need to take another look at behavior in our society. They need to realize not only how prevalent it is but also how indifferent most people are to the everyday subjugation of females by the inflated, superiority complex some men continue to possess. Living in the time period that we do I hope we can move forward past this primordial degradation of others based on their gender. I don’t know how to change people’s ingrained mindsets shaped by society, and I don’t know that this oppression will ever eventually end, but I do know that I’m not going to sit by silently and accept unjust treatment of women. I know that I will speak up.